Four locals have been selected as finalists in a competition to name the “Official Cocktail of the Mississippi Gulf Coast,” and it’s up to YOU to choose the one that will make history.
Earlier this month, we announced that Visit Mississippi Gulf Coast had partnered up with Rougaroux Rum and Eat MS Coast to create the Official Cocktail of the Mississippi Coast. The effort involved recipe submissions by local bartenders, chefs or cooks from restaurants across Mississippi’s three coastal counties. The submissions were then evaluated by a panel of judges comprised of culinary professionals from outside of the region who participated in a series of blind taste tests.
Now, the finalist have been selected, and it’s up to you to chose the winner!
Make plans NOW to attend one of the three Tasting (and Voting) Parties across the Mississippi Coast to try each finalist cocktail – and vote for the BEST!
MEET YOUR FINAL FOUR
Debbie Davis from The Sycamore House in Bay St. Louis
This is an easily replicated punch recipe that has been served for many Second Saturdays in the Bay. It is light and refreshing. It could be made in advance in batches to be served individually.
Cocktail Name: Pelican Punch
- 1 1/2 ounce Rougaroux Sugarshine Rum
- 2 ounces orange juice
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 1/8 ounce rose water
Jessy Gazaway from Patio 44 in Biloxi
I wanted to create a cocktail that would be enjoyed from one end of the coast to the other. My cocktail uses simple ingredients that you can grab at any grocery store. I had a dream about the old Biloxi Lighthouse keeper before I put this cocktail together. She was an older lady who used to be the guide for all the sailors to make their way safely to shore. She lived in the top of the lighthouse and took care of any and all that she met along the way. Her lighthouse was the haven for all of those who needed a safe place and a bed to lay in. In my dream, I happened to be a wanderer, passing through town, and she let me stay overnight. She was sweet, salty, a little nutty, but was rich with the job of tending to those who needed her. This is the cocktail that describes her personality, and something for everyone who calls the Mississippi Coast home.
Cocktail Name: A Tale Between Two Bridges
- 1½ ounce Rougaroux Full Moon Rum
- ¼ ounce Creme De Coconut
- ¼ ounce honey syrup
- ¼ ounce lemon juice
- 3 fresh strawberries
- 1 ounce champagne
William Hennis from Murky Water BBQ & Blues in Ocean Springs
Much like the Mississippi Coast, this Paradise Punch is a little taste of paradise in every sip.
Cocktail Name: Paradise Punch
- 1¼ ounce Rougaroux Full Moon Rum
- 1/2 ounce watermelon pucker
- 1 ounce orange juice
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 1 ounce cranberry juice
Catherine Ryan from Bacchus on the Beach in Pass Christian
Catherine’s team says this cocktail was created this as a true Coastie inspired by the coast’s vibe and feel. At the Seersucker Bar, Cat does an excellent job of keeping Southern hospitality alive on the Mississippi Coast, and she made this cocktail while watching the sunset over the Mississippi Sound. It’s truly an embodiment of our home’s vibe and feel!
Cat Island Cruiser
- 1 ½ ounce Rougaroux Sugarshine Rum
- Fresh mango chunks (or ½ ounce mango puree)
- 1 ounce cilantro mint simple syrup
- 2 lime wedges
- Club soda
Cheers to our finalists and the future Official Cocktail of the Mississippi Coast!
Here’s how you can get involved:
- Join us for one (or all) of three Official Cocktail Tasting Parties across the Mississippi Coast on April 10th in Biloxi, April 11th in Ocean Springs, and April 13th in Bay St. Louis. Tickets are just $15 in advance or $20 at the door and include all four cocktail tastings, appetizers from the host restaurant. Plus, a portion of each ticket supports local food pantries thru Extra Table. Purchase your tickets here.
- Vote online now (one vote per email address).
- Spread the word to your friends, family, colleagues and more thru social media, text, email and more! Let’s all get involved in making a cocktail history here on the Mississippi Coast!